It is finally feeling like Spring; it even looks like we might have to start mowing. This is a perfect time of the year to spring clean, so you can have a wonderful Summer and set yourself up for an amazing 2019.
Here are eight of our favourite tips to help you get rid of the old and bring in the new.
1. If you don’t love it, let it go. Everything you own takes up energy. If you are surrounded by clutter and things that you don’t love, they will drain your energy. Why not start the ‘30-day Challenge’ where you get rid of one item on Day 1, two on Day 2, three on Day 3… you get the idea 🙂 At the end of the month, you’ll have 465 fewer things in your house. You can donate them or sell them and earn a bit of extra cash. Get some friends involved and set a challenge for your group.
2. If it’s not supporting you, let it go. Most of us have some unhelpful habits and beliefs. Take time this month to notice when you are not feeling great and look at what is causing it. Is it unhelpful self-talk, poor eating or drinking habits? You are amazing – so let them go and move on!
3. Replace bad habits with something that supports you: unhelpful self-talk can be replaced with loving affirmations and new mantras; poor eating habits can be replaced with healthier ones. What little changes can you make in your habits, to move towards those that support you more? Start small, but start now.
4. Now is also a great time to do a pantry and fridge audit. Go through your cupboards and throw out anything that is out of date. Get rid of things that are not good for you. Do the same with your fridge. Consider planting some fresh herbs in a pot and adding them to your meals. ‘Less processed, more fresh food’ is a great mantra.
5. Get outside more. In Winter it is easy to make excuses to stay inside. As it starts to warm up, find reasons to get outside. There is a lot of great science about how good it is for your health and well-being to spend time in nature each day. Consider skipping the news and going for a walk or run instead.
6. Reduce the distractions in your life. Your distractions are costing you your fortune and, more importantly, your life.
7. Connect with others more. Science is now showing that connecting with others is the No. 1 factor that determines longevity. So put those devices down and catch up with others more. It’s also good for your immunity.
8. Finally, Spring is the time of new growth, so think about how you want to grow yourself. What new skills do you want to learn? Join ‘mobile university’ and learn while you commute – by listening to podcasts & audio books or by reading. If you want to develop specific skills in more depth, consider enrolling in an online or face-to-face course.
Have fun spring cleaning. We’d love for you to share your favourite tips too.
Remember: if you start today and take one small action and repeat it each day, by the end of Summer you won’t know yourself. You deserve it 🙂